Donnerstag, 9. Juli 2009

Change of the continent

Hello my friends,

I arrived two weeks ago in Cape Town, South Africa and started yesterday my trip back home to Austria.

In my last report you could read about my tour from Thailand to Malaysia.
On the Monday three weeks ago I headed with David towards Kuala Lumpur. On the way we visited some friends and made a break on the Dordi plantation of his friend. After some lunch we continued to Taiping, where we took a shower in the public park. Afterwards we cycled in the town for lunch before we returned to the park to pitch our tent. To stay dry, we camped in a pavilion near the lake. I didn't spend the best night because heaps of mosquito's attacked me and had no pardon for me. In the end I got some good sleep deep wrapped in my sleeping bag. After a shower and some indian breakfast we cycled in the direction of Ipoh, where we wanted to stay the next night. We made some distance but in the afternoon it got quite hot and David prefered breaks instead of cycling. At one of them we met some American cyclers, which had the same destination. So we made a group and pedaled together to Ipoh where a friend of David picked us up on the highway and showed us the way to his house. We had a pleasant evening in the restaurant with him and because it became quite late we went straight to bed. The next morning I had some breakfast together with David and afterwards we headed in different directions. I had more than 200 km to KL in front of me and was already quite late. I had a good run and made a lot of kilometers. In the afternoon it got once again really hot and I was slowly running out of power. A rain shower saved my life and could continue well. After 180 km the cycling became hard work. I wasn't to motivated anymore and was short of energy. Because I knew that my hosts in KL will go in the movie in the evening, I wanted to hurry up to arrive in time. At the entrance of the city I couldn't figure out where I have to go and so I asked but wasn't to sure if the informations are right. So I asked another time in a pharmacy and they told me another way but only to the central train station. I tried to find that way what wasn't all to easy, it was raining cat and dogs, I was feeling cold and nobody could tell me the way there. I got quite annoyed by steering around without any plan where to go and made a break where finally a trustworthy guy explained me the way to the station. When I wanted to pay my ticket to my destination some staff notified that I have to leave the station with my bicycle. I asked him how I could get the bicycle in the train when I'm not allowed with it in the station. So he left and wasn't able to give me directions. Another group of staff denied the entry to the platform and so I waited and annoyed them for 10 minutes till they opened the gate for me. At my arrival station I they denied me to leave the station and wanted to fine me but after another 10 minutes of talk I was free and hadn't to use any railway anymore. The next 4 hours I spent on the bridge and waited on my hosts Ivy and Lou to return from the cinema. They picked me up, and I followed them to there flat, where I took a fast shower and fell really tired to bed. This was my longest day journey till now with around 230 km and I wasn't up for cycling on the next day. We started the day relaxed and visited the Pretonas Towers and Shopping Centers in KL. On the evening we met some friends of them and had a nice evening. The day after we made our way again in the center and visited different areas. The last day in KL and so the last one after 9 month in Southeast Asia I spent with dismantling my bicycle and pack it up to take on the plane. Ivy and Lou brought my to the train station after we had some dinner together and headed towards the airport. It was again a problem to transport the bicycle on the train but after I paid 10 times the price for my bicycle than for me I entered the train to the Central Station and continued with a bus to the airport. There I balanced my allowed check-in luggage weight and took all the heavy and non-dangerous things in my handbag, which was already way to full and far over 3 times of the allowed hand baggage weight. After midnight I entered the plane and left after a really nice time Asia towards Africa.
I left the plane in Johannesburg where we had a stopover and when I wanted to return my boarding pass was gone. The staff couldn't explain what they did and they have been quite confused. They tried to find it again but hadn't the best actions to get it back and so I got on the plane without anything. We landed in Cape Town I picked up my baggage and assembled my bike and rode to my host in Mowbray afterwards. We spent the afternoon watching the finals of the Confederations Cup. The next days I spent around Cape Town cycling along the coast and hiking Lions Head several times, Table Mountain, Devil's Peak and so on. I really loved the time in the mountains of which I had been such a long time apart of. My host Marius gave me a great time in his house and made the start of my tour the best I could think of. I really enjoyed Cape Town and could stay for much longer but I want to see other parts of South Africa too and so it's after almost 2 weeks time to leave. Yesterday I started my tour officially at the Cape of Good Hope, which good Karma should accompany me till I'm back home.
My bicycle did till now 7937 kilometers and now we are on zero for my new trip. It will get several thousand kilometers more till I reach my home and finish my first long trip.
I did some pics online of the time in Kuala Lumpur and Cape Town.
I will update you in the next weeks and months about my travels.

Have a good time, enjoy the life and keep going.

See you
Stefan

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen